Class 8 is a gateway for students to choose careers of their choice and helps them to understand and identify their interests. Olympiad exams for students of class 8 are conducted at national as well as international levels. Olympiad exams help students to prepare for future competitive exams like JEE, NEET, and other competitive exams with a strong base. The exam has the advantage as it encourages students to study in-depth to develop core subject knowledge and explore the practical aspects of the subject. It enables them to focus more on the concepts and inherit a strong basic knowledge of the subject.
The exam has a lot of benefits for students as confidence in younger minds. Students who practice for Olympiad exams perform well in their school examinations and academics. The exam enhances students thinking abilities, and creative skills thus making them more capable of approaching any exams and challenges without getting afraid and anxious. It encourages learning that stays with children forever.
The exams will be totally based on the school-level curriculum. Some advanced portions will also be there. Questions asked in the class 8 olympiad will be more trickier and complicated. Generally, olympiad exams are more technically oriented. The different Olympiad exams conducted for class 8 are given. Most of the exams are conducted at 2 levels. Top students who qualify for level 1 with good scores will be eligible for level 2. They can choose an exam of their interests.
- Class 8 International Science Olympiad (ISO)
- Class 8 International Maths Olympiad (IMO)
- Class 8 English International Olympiad (EIO)
- Class 8 General Knowledge International Olympiad (GKIO)
- Class 8 International Computer Olympiad (ICO)
- Class 8 International Drawing Olympiad (IDO)
- Class 8 National Essay Olympiad (NESO)
- Class 8 National Social Studies Olympiad (NSSO)
It is quite common for students to get confused about how to prepare for class 8 olympiad exams. Sometimes it will be difficult and troublesome for students to prepare and follow a proper schedule. Here some tips are provided to help students to secure good ranks and top exams.
- Set goals: students should know what they actually want and why they are preparing for exams. Be more specific with goals. Study goals are essential if one wants to succeed in any exams. Then organize your studies accordingly. Prepare a timetable, then schedule your time for academic studies and the olympiad separately. Sometimes students might be staying up late playing computer games, which interferes with studying. So they must a goal to not spend more time playing and to go to bed by a certain time.
- Organize study area: it is very important to have a well-organized study area. The messier it is, the more will the mind feel confused. It is advised to gather together all the stationery, reference materials, healthy snacks, and water bottle.
- Maintain a schedule: schedule a calendar. Plan which portions are to be completed each day. Follow the schedule without any fail. Begin from the most basic portions, then move to the complex chapters. So that the students can get enough time to work out difficult portions.
- Try not to study on the night: it is been found that night studying or sleep deprivations can cause less working memory, reduce the ability to execute functions, causes a lot of tiredness, and lower brain functionality. So it is better to study at day. And have adequate sleep. Don’t study continuously for more than 2 hours. Take short breaks in-between.
- Know the syllabus: get updated with the new syllabus from the official website of the class 8 olympiad exam. Or students can seek help from teachers to find the syllabus. Divide chapters accordingly, then start preparing for exams. Knowing the exam pattern is also very important. The syllabus for class 8 Olympiad is only based on the academic curriculum of all boards like CBSE, ICSE, and other State boards respectively, so students need not have to worry about the syllabus. The exam is conducted in 2 levels. Students who qualify at level 1 with good scores can attend level 2. The question paper contains technical questions, and the complexity level of the exam will be high when compared to other school-level exams. the exam is conducted for 65 minutes. There will be a total of 50 questions and they will be objective questions of one mark each. students must understand the exam patterns, and type of questions, for this student, should understand the fundamental concepts well. 60% of level-I questions will be asked only from the current syllabus of class 8 and 40% from previous classes like from classes 6 and 7. The Olympiad exam syllabus is divided into three sections. All subjects include questions from the logical reasoning segment. the first sections consist of subjective questions, the second is the High Order Thinking Section, and the last is the logical reasoning section.
- Get well acquainted with each topic: Having a clear, focused idea, and writing down notes, will provide you with a strong starting place for your thinking and makes it easier to solve questions. Use color codes to highlight important equations, theorems, principles, and formulas. Students can even use flowcharts to represent any processes to make learning easier. Using different codes can help students to memorize portions in an easy way.
- Solve previous year’s questions: one thing any student cant avoid if they want to score good marks in class 8 olympiad exams is practicing the previous year’s papers. There can be nothing better than a companion other than solving revision questions. The more one practice, the can succeed in exams. students will be able to better understand the exam pattern and mark distribution for the questions and syllabus topics. using a timer while solving papers will let the students get used to the timing constraints they will face during the exam. This way students can check if they need to speed up or not. Moreover, it will give you an idea of important questions. Many questions are repeated as well, so that’s an easy way to score marks.
- Focus more on core topics: it is very essential as most of the questions asked in an exam are likely to come from the core material.
- Stay healthy: eat healthy food and drink adequate water. Maintain a healthy diet so that students may not get sick in between exam dates.
- Last-minute hacks: don’t rush in at the last minute. Make sure to complete the revision a week ahead of the exam.
Read more: How To Make A Study Schedule To Study In The Morning For Class 7